Including Art in homeschool curriculum is important to your child’s education. Art gives your child the chance to develop the right side of the brain. Many courses focus only on teaching the left side of the brain. I feel that balance in education is crucial. Teaching Art gives your child that balance. Children benefit when they are taught to use both sides of the brain.
You can go to a search engine and find a multitude of information about each side of the brain. You can even take a test to see which side of your brain is dominant. Here are two sites I found: Hemispheric Dominance Inventory Test and the Art Institute of Vancouver Right Brain vs Left Brain Creativity Test.
Benefits of Art in homeschool curriculum:
- improved self-esteem and self-confidence,
- increased observational skills,
- greater use of imagination and creativity,
- ability to problem solve through trial and error,
- freedom from fear of failure,
- increased desire to create and learn more about art,
- pride in creative work,
- thoughtful judgment of works done by self and peers,
- awareness of other ways to see the world,
- respect for others,
- appreciation for art in history and other cultures, and
- increased ability to switch from left to right brain thinking.
In some public schools, the arts are valued. But in others, the arts are taking a backseat. Many art programs are disappearing. As a homeschool parent you have a choice. I hope you give your child the chance to explore art.
Below are some more articles about art education. I hope this article has been helpful.
Art For Our Sake by Ellen Winner and Lois Hetland.
Guggenheim Study Suggests Art Education Benefits Literacy Skills
Book Tackles Old Debate: Role of Art in Schools
Art Education: The Benefits
Benefits of Art and Music Education
Making a Better Case for the Benefits of Art Education
Americans For the Arts: Quick Facts